Research Compliance

Students looking out over landscape

Ecology and Evolutionary Biology 

Students and faculty in EEB can direct questions pertaining to research compliance, laboratory or field safety, research import or export controls, and research contracts to Tina Hansen. 

Tina Hansen - Research Operations Administrator 
[email protected]


RESEARCH               TRAVEL               HEALTH               FINANCE

Office of Research Integrity and Assurance (RIA)

RIA is Princeton’s office for research compliance and ethics.  It is composed of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), the Institutional Review Board (IRB), the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC), and the Financial Conflict of Interest (FCOI).  RIA has oversight of all research involving animal or human experimentation, and/or biological agents. 

RIA Contacts | Research Integrity and Assurance (

Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)

The IACUC provides supervision, coordination, and review of projects that include the use of animals or animal tissues. IACUC has the responsibility to approve animal research, to require modification of proposed activity involving animals, and the authority to prohibit a project’s use of animals. IACUC approval process may take up to 2 months.

RIA Contacts | Research Integrity and Assurance (

Institutional Review Board (IRB)

The IRB ensures that all research involving human participants is conducted in a manner that ensures the safety and well-being of participants. IRB approval may be necessary for research involving human subject intervention, interaction or the collection of human data or biological specimens. IRB approval process may take up to 2 months.

RIA Contacts | Research Integrity and Assurance (

Laboratory Animal Resources (LAR)

LAR is responsible for the husbandry and care of University animals used in research, testing, or training and has oversight for maintenance of and access to animal facilities, animal ordering, census, billing, and training. They provide animal and veterinary care, including 24/7 year-round emergency care. A veterinarian reviews all IACUC protocol submissions and is available for pre-IACUC submission consultation.

Email: [email protected]

Address: Laboratory Animal Resources
Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544

Environmental Health and Safety (EHS)

EHS provides technical support, training, consultation, and audits of environmental, health and safety practices and regulatory compliance. They support fieldwork safety, export and import of biological specimens, guidance on handling & transport of research supplies, equipment, infectious agents, chemicals, and controlled substances, including letters to TSA. They also advise on working safely with heavy equipment or in extreme environments.

Contact Us | Office of Environmental Health and Safety (

Office of the General Counsel

The Office of the General Counsel is advises researchers on matters pertaining to research contracts, international contractual arrangements, intellectual property, technology transfer, and international law.

Research and Technology Transfer | Office of the General Counsel (

Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC)

The IBC provides oversight of research activities involving use of biological agents including recombinant and synthetic nucleic acid molecules, infectious agents, human or non-human primate materials, biological toxins and animal tissues that pose zoonotic disease risks. IBC approval process may take up to 6 weeks.

RIA Contacts | Research Integrity and Assurance (

Travel Requirements and Resources 

Field research is an integral part of your experience in EEB.  Graduate students have a series of requirements to ensure resources are available to them as they conduct research while away from campus.  As university employees, postdocs are also provided resources.

International SOS (ISOS)

ISOS provides emergency and support services worldwide. If you are traveling internationally, please print & carry an ISOS card with you at all times

Travel Booking & Expense Reimbursement via Concur 

Concur is an online program used for registering travel & expense reimbursement.  Undergraduate travel plans must be approved by the Dean of the College.

Undergraduate Students

Field research is often an integral part of the EEB experience. Undergraduate students have a series of requirements to ensure resources are available to them as they conduct off-campus research.

Graduate Students

Prior to travel, graduate students are sent a link to complete a web-based research questionnaire from the department, which is then followed up by a brief email exchange.

Postdoctoral Researchers

International Travel Resources:

University Health Services (UHS)

Students and postdocs traveling internationally require additional immunizations and health screenings that can be scheduled with University Health Services through their Travel Health program.  Schedule appointments 4-6 weeks in advanced. UHS is also available for Animal Worker Clearance appointments.

All Students: 609-258-3141
Postdocs: 609-258-5035 (Employee Health)

Financial Needs

Undergraduate Students

Undergraduates should use the Student Activities Funding Engine (SAFE) to apply for funding requests. SAFE brings together all funding request for review in one online location.

Graduate Students & Postdocs

Field research often requires financial support from several sources.  If some or all support comes from a Princeton faculty member or program, a spending plan is helpful to ensure reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses or arrangement of a travel credit card.  Special consideration for payment of field assistants abroad requires discussion prior to departure.

Rachele Sylvan - Department Manager
[email protected]